OFFICE OF PAPAL CHARITIES
Information about Applying for Papal Blessing
1. Directly from the Office in Vatican City
The Office of Papal Charities within Vatican
City can be visited by entering the Saint Ann Gate (located to the right
of the colonnade of Saint Peter’s Square) during office hours: 8:30 to 13:30 noon, Monday through Saturday.
2. By letter or fax
Requests for Papal Blessings on parchment
can be sent to the Elemosineria Apostolica - Office of Papal Charities
only by regular post or by fax (but not by e-mail)
The request should include:
- the name, surname and address of
the person making the request;
- the name and surname of the
person(s) for whom the blessing is being requested;
- the reason or occasion
- the date, the name of the Church
and the address are required when the blessing is requested for the
celebration of a sacrament, a religious profession or an anniversary;
the address of where to send the parchment and payment
The payment should be made after you receive the Papal
blessing. It is possible to make the payment in one of two ways:
- via a bank transfer (the banking coordinates will be sent to you in the same
parcel as the parchment)
- or by online credit card payment via our website.
The account will reflect:
- the cost of the parchment (ranging from 13 to 25 euros according to the model
chosen by the office for the specific occasion)
- and the postage costs (outside Italy according to the destination). For normal
postage 10-16 euros or with express courier (DHL) 18-30 euros.
The time required for receiving the parchment is approximately one
month from the date when the request is received.
Requests made by telephone are not admitted.
3. Circumstances for which parchment papal
blessings are granted
The Apostolic Blessing is granted for the
1. Baptism, First Communion, Confirmation
3. Priestly Ordination
4. Religious Profession
5. Secular Consecration
6. Ordinations of Permanent Deacons
7. Marriage Anniversaries (10, 25, 40, 50 ,
60 years)*, Priestly Ordination, Religious Profession
8. Birthdays (18, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100)*
9. Catholic individuals* or families* (with name and surname of the
spouses united in a religious marriage).
The asterisk (*) indicates the need for the
nihil obstat or approval of ecclesiastical authority.
Requests for papal blessings for other occasions
will not be accepted.
00120 Vatican City
||(+39) 06.69873279 - (+39) 06.69871100
(office hours: 8:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.
[UTC+1 : CET - Central European Time])